Sunday, January 7, 2007

Just Beyond Me

:

Ah…the wonderful world of Organic Chemistry…where the carbon a
tom is the supreme ruler of the side-chain universe. A universe governed by nomenclature, catalysts, temperatures, pressures, functional groups, isomers and the likes. In short – an abstruse universe that makes utterly no sense to me and basically, a universe I don’t give a rat’s ass about.

With less than a week left for my exams, my conscience finally pricked so hard that I just HAD to open my dreaded chemistry book (read: BLOCK…it really resembles a block of solid concrete…and its just as hard to open and weighs approximately 12 kgs!) and glance at the hundreds and thousands of pages, full of equations and gibberish in some other language that just escapes my understanding of the subject. “Ok….”, I think to myself, “You can do this…c’mon girl…you show ‘em who’s boss!”…So I begin my conquest…"Ok… calm down…this is making sense…(isn’t it?)…Chill maadi”…But another nasty voice somewhere inside my head screams, “WHO THE F*** ARE YOU KIDDING MATE?!”. I decide to try a little harder and put a little more effort into it…but alas, its not working. My brain cells are DYING. They’re pounding against my impenetrable skull (which comes along with an in-built organic-chemistry-barrier)…they’re screaming, "LET ME OUT...have some mercy on us!!!!” Aaaargh….I can’t take it anymore! I try restraining them with my mind’s invisible hands (yes, HANDS…just like a mind’s eye!)…Oh no…They’re too strong! Finally…my iron will manages to vanquish their vain efforts (yeah right!).

My book currently turned to the chapter – Alcohols, I begin to feel thirsty. I’m losing my focus. Ok…one shot of vodka won’t do any harm. Now, I shift my undivided attention back to chemistry.

WHY the hell would anybody care about what temperature, pressure and catalyst is required for ethylene glycol and acetaldehyde to give cyclic acetal? Oh, by the way, I should probably mention that it has to be treated with p-toulenesulphonic acid (say what?!)


Page 216743265765:

Inter-conversion of alcohols:

Half the goddamn chapter is based solely on this!

Add acidified potassium dichromate solution to a secondary alcohol in order to obtain a blessed ketone. Then add a Grignard reagent to give an alkoxy magnesium bromide compound, which then undergoes acidic hydrolysis to give a tertiary alcohol.

Splendid isn’t it? I THINK NOT! All I see when I read the above is, “One quarter of vodka + one shot of tequila + 2 pegs of white rum + a lil’ Bailey’s Irish Cream = One hell of a drink…I must try this out!” What useful information is this textbook giving me anyway? Do they ever mention how to convert vodka into gin? NO! When you’re relishing a Breezer, do you ever consider all the conked-up chemical reactions that were forced upon the poor, innocent reactants that had to exchange Avogadro's number of molecules, ions, electrons...WHATEVER, in order to produce the drink? Ok…maybe I should’ve just stuck to one shot of vodka with juice instead of three…Hmmm…. These compounds look pretty…OoooooOooooooOOo…. Ethanoic acid…Yummy…. The page is a blur now…. Hey…are the arrows leading from the reactants to the products supposed to be dancing on and off the page? Wow…I love yrtsimehc…I mean, chemistry.

Yep…that’s about all I can really recall from my last attempt to stuff chemistry into my head…the last thing I remember thinking was, “Hmmm organic chemistry and vodka aren’t compatible reactants when passing-the-exam is supposed to be the product…Wish I had a magical catalyst!"

I leave you with a taunting image of our blessed text books...torn and tattered as they are, an object of my anger...

15 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL!! Omg...This one is funnier than the previous ones! Although those would make the reader roll on the floor laughing as well!!
Anyway...This is like..Classic! I've never seen anyone with an imagination like yours! THAT'S...ONE of your talents!!=D
Hehe...Anyway keep writing...And continue to amaze..(and amuse) everybody!!

Anonymous said...

my sympathies fellow sufferer! sad disney characters fail to appreciate the fact behind the fiction!superficial people!tsk tsk!
reading your little entry made me realize just how much i'd forgotten!you little sunbeam!you!*shakes fist and curses in chinese
**explicit terms omitted for the benefit of disney cartoons!***
i was sooo bored at 12:30 last night(is that technically morning?!whatever...)and i've got to hand it to you!your demented ramblings were highly entertaining (and articulately so!)
keep writing poodle!
oh btw manisha, no offence meant!lol!

Francis Thomas said...

yea. organic chemistry.


.....catennation of cancer cells,that wat it causes..


*staggers drunkenly around*

Unknown said...

Hey Devs!
lol man as usual uv livd upto ur std of entertainin others wid ur funny n admirably amazin ways o ritin! seriously i luv da style in wich uv condemnd chem! n U DEFINITELY HAV MY SUPPORT IN DAT! btw i think if v ever hav a worst subject review 2 rite in eng u can submit dis n ull get da highest marx widout a doubt!(dats if its markd wid da rite spirit!) yeah man consider takin a printout n leavin it on her table! then ull hav to face mo problems...as it is all o us r fellow sufferers as far as TESP issues r concernd..dat 2 wen v r tryin 2 help sav da environment v r mocked by bein referred 2 as da so calld "ENVIRONMENT GRP!" AS IF V DON HAV A NAME! jus shows how much ppl in addition 2 all r subjects suck! anyway way 2 go! keep up da gud job!
An amused Gautami!

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah! sooooooo glad i dont do chem anymore! GOOD LUCK WID THAT BY THE WAY!

Mahathi Parashuram said...

Nice work lil sis!!! :-) However i have ensured that mom n dad don't get / give u any more breezers or anything with any alcohol (including waterburies). Hope this helps with chem! :-)

arun said...

hey devu...u r a good damn writer too...i like the way u put up things...keep it up babe (atleast u will hav a job even if u end up doin notin)

Unknown said...

hey dude... i couldnt pen down my feelings(and of course...de dazed n shocked expresion wen i realised dat alcohols + aldehydes--->alcoholdehydes...) hehehe...gr8 job! n may there be more to come...... cheers!!!!! n let shobi(shoba joshy) rot in helll( not literally ppl, i have a heart)...
anyways i have to suffer wid chem now so il catch up l8r...
buh bye
n all da best fr ur exam...
(like lucks gonna help us) ;) ;) :(

Anonymous said...

Way to go Devathi!!! Hope the guy who invented organic chemistry is suffering real bad wherever he is!!:) Yes, another fellow sufferer...

Anonymous said...

well uve taken da words rite out of my mouth.. dats exactly wt i think abt da subjects i ave 2 study..anyway does "One quarter of vodka + one shot of tequila + 2 pegs of white rum + a lil’ Bailey’s Irish Cream " really make one hell of a drink?????????

different said...

cant help u much wid ur problem o not understnding OC... but can help u by suggestin another book- try "a text book of organic chemistry by Bhal n Bhal" ... aka, BIBLE O OC !

it will do u good. M more dan confi.

MU RAZR said...

organic chemistry...ohh god...i got the compulsory problem in oc wrong in my boards....i hate oc

Madhuri Krishna said...

Devathi, thankyou!
im amazed to see that people actually read my entries. *awwww*

your stuff is hilarious.
=)

Madhuri Krishna said...

Im truly honoured. YOU want to link MY blog to yours?
thankyou thankyou. And you can do it with blog customizing in the 'add blog element' option.
=)

Poorna Omprakash said...

Does the whole world dread Chemistry?
It sucks, I agree. I don't see the point in mugging Fridel Craft's alkylation and Acylation reactions, with perfect temperatures and pressures and catalysts and what not!

Chemistry haunts me! Even in my dreams! :(