Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Medusa and Hemlock


It’s time for a new self-centred rant. I know you guys missed them, as much as you would hate to admit it! :D So why prolong your wait? Your misery ends here... behold a new rant about... *drum rolls*... MY HAIR!!

Yes, my hair - the object of ardent admiration and envy, the epitome of all awesomeness. If in the future I bequeath my hair to you in the form of a hair transplant (don’t you dare get any ideas about progeny and shiz), I would necessarily have to include an instruction manual. You see, my hair is just that unique and that awesome. However, for all those curious people who wonder how I manage my hair, I hope this answers your questions.

FAQS:

1. How Devathi, HOW do you comb your unruly hair?

Devathi replies – Dearest love, the Britishers learnt it soon enough while they were trying desperately to rule our country, and parents caught on quickly as well when it came to managing their children – Divide and Rule. Heard of the phrase ‘United we stand, divided we fall’? The same applies to my hair. What I do is split it up into many portions, hold them down with numerous rubber bands, catch hold of one portion of hair at a time and force a comb through it.


2. What do you do to your hair after you’re done combing it?

Oh, I take a light and start an African bush fire in the hope that one of those dreamy firemen will come rescue me (although that doesn’t really apply in India). Not. I use a perpetually changing number of rubber bands and tic-toc clips to stop it from defying gravity all the time. The wind can be a bitch though.

3. What sort of combs or brushes do you use?


Devathi says – Hmm. After a lot of experimentation I discovered that brushes were ineffective and therefore settled for big-toothed combs. I use two combs at a time, one in each hand, while wrestling my hair. Glad you asked.


4. How do you wash your hair? Do you even wash it?!

Devathi: Yes, I do wash it, and quite often at that. My mama taught me personal hygiene, but you seem like you could use a few lessons. As for how I wash it, I apply the Divide and Rule method again. It’s hard to get to your scalp when you have a miniature Amazon Jungle for hair, but I found that the D&R method works better than the tear-your-hair-out-of-your-scalp-out-of-frustration method. So I divide it into portions again and wash each area of my scalp tediously. The rest is relatively easy because all that needs to be done is squeeze an entire shampoo bottle onto my head and lather away furiously.


5. On an average, how long does it take to wash your hair?

Devathi is tiring of the questions but will answer nicely anyway: About an hour, if my hair is in a good mood.


6. Do you use a hair dryer?

When they invent a hair dryer that can actually dry my hair, let me know – mail me at devathip@gmail.com. I dry my hair by head banging to music (it works) or I just let it dry on its own.


7. Do birds ever mistake your hair for a nest?

Yes, crows especially. *orders her personal mafia to kill the person who asked her this question*


8. In what ways do you style your hair?

Oh gee... It alternates between the curly look and the fluffy cotton candy look. I can’t be bothered to do anything more with it. The curly look takes minimum effort since all I need to do is wash my hair (the science behind it: all the cysteine residues form intrastrand bonds again, bonds which might have been broken earlier due to combing). I love the curly look but it comes at a price – combing it later is thrice as hard. As for the cotton candy look, that’s just a result of combing it (and hence temporarily breaking the cysteine bonds).


9. Do you ever get bored of your hair?

No. It’s fun to play with.


10. Does stuff get lost in your hair?

Yes, quite often. Once a friend found a dead spider in my hair... the cause of death appeared to have been suffocation. Among the other things I’ve found are bits of paper and rubber bands that I misplaced. Maybe I should start smuggling weed in my hair... I’d be rich.


11. Why don’t you straighten your hair?

I don’t want to look like everyone else. My hair is unique and I love it. It’s an integral part of my personality and I couldn’t care less if straight hair could make me look better or if that boy I’m crushing on likes straight-as-steel-rods hair. If you’re one of the kazillion people who’ve asked me this question, you should know that you’re on the hit list that I’m sending across to my mafia right now. Beware.


12. Is your hair natural?

Uh. Why don’t you tug on it and see for yourself, retard? Of course it’s natural! Before you ask, my mother and sister have curly hair too, except not as awesome as mine!


A few things that require special mention – I dressed up as Medusa for a Halloween Party once where I let my hair loose and had snakes in it. My hair is instrumental to most of my costumes for various theme parties, like even at the Retro Farewell Party in school where I dressed up as Boney M.


So, there are times when my hair is just absolutely unruly and unmanageable. There are times when I just wanna shave it off or grab it with both hands and scream “Die stupid hair die!”, but for what it’s worth, I LOVE it.


To my hair – I love you! *flying kiss*

2 comments: