Monday, February 15, 2010

I Love Taylor Swift (Not)


[If you don’t get sarcasm, please stop reading right here]

Oh my God… Taylor Swift… aaaaaaaa… *swoons*

Gah.

Why in heaven’s name Fearless won Best Album of the Year at the 52nd Grammy Awards is just beyond me. It’s almost understandable that a majority of the male race jacks off to her picture and her voice (I really DO know a guy who does that. Hint: He’s been tagged) – she is undeniably beautiful and her voice is nice and all, but to let her walk away with such a prestigious award is crossing the line. It’s blasphemy!

Let’s step back and take a close look at Taylor Swift’s target audience:

- Girls from the age of 8-13 who have just had their first crush. Awww... how cute!

- Girls from the age of 13-18 who just haven’t been able to grow up and still fantasize about unicorns and pretty pink ribbons

- Women – yes, quite a few of them dig her songs. Why? *shrugs*… I don’t know. Maybe it’s one the lesser known effects of sexual frustration

- Boys and men of all ages – it’s not so much the songs they dig as the videos and her pretty face (and maybe the rest of her anatomy as well)

All in all though, there are a greater number of people who absolutely hate her music than there are delusional fans. The high school themes which all her songs seem to revolve around are just pathetic. She quite obviously wrote and sang these songs when she was pms-ing. Why else would somebody go on endlessly about some boy in class who didn’t give them a second glance? Thu.

For those of you who’ve missed out on her ‘sensational’ album, Fearless, here are some of the highlights:

1. Fearless (title track) – This one is supposed to be about the fearlessness of falling in love. However, it’s basically about her dancing around in her best dress with some boy she likes. She would even go to the extent of dancing with him in a storm. Throw in some first kisses and lots of driving around in his car, and there you have it, the gist of the song.

2. Fifteen – A song that her 15 year old fans can totally relate to (I told ya so!), apparently. This song is about first dates, believing someone when they tell you they love you and dating.

3. Love Story – Ugh. Wannabe Romeo and Juliet. Need I say anymore? Please just go listen to it. I cannot bring myself to write about it without gagging. The video is the only saving grace here, considering that she looks stunningly beautiful in the dress she’s wearing.

4. White Horse – This is about an oh-so-painful break up. Bring on the waterworks. Ms. Swift realizes a bit too late that she isn’t a princess and that she isn’t living in a fairytale. Heartbreaking discovery, isn’t it?

5. You Belong With Me – Do you see a pattern here? Again, it’s about boys and dating. She knows his favourite songs, gets his humour, wears t-shirts and sits on the bleachers. Somehow, this is all supposed to translate into how he belongs with her.

6. Tear Drops On My Guitar – This isn’t a part of the album, but I threw in a freebie. Yippee! So this song is just like any other song that she’s ever written or performed. Girl likes boy. Boy likes another girl. Poor dejected Taylor Swift has teardrops on her guitar and I have to blink back tears each time that happens because she ends up writing another asinine song that goes on to become a hit single.

With that said and done, I can’t wait for Taylor Swift’s next album. Woohoo! *jumps up and down eagerly* Maybe she’ll grow a brain by then. Maybe.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally agree with ur article!
I didn't even know she had so many songs! LOL...
The only thing I disagree with you is on her looks! She look like crap! her features are just unappealing to me... her eyes gosh! They just look weird!

I admit I started listening to a couple of female artists cuz they look hot, but this one... neither does she look good, nor does she sing well, kinda like a double no-no!

Did u see my facebook status update recently!? I can't believe her's is the best music we had this year! gosh it sucks!
I heard one of her tracks on TV and thought she is one of the artists who will do a song and wash away didn't even care for her until I shockingly heard she got nominated for the grammys and went on to win it!!!
And why the hell does get categorized as country music, when the song I heard had nothing country bout it!

that's my rant!

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Devathi said...

Lol.. Pranab, you had quite a bit to say about her! I think she looks rather pretty though. As for the genre, yeah I don't get why it's country music either.

Anonymous person, thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for first aid for a heart attack and your post looks very interesting for me.

Devathi said...

Hi there, Anonymous Person.. it's rather hilarious that you stumbled upon my blog while searching for first aid for heart attacks!! LOL. Anyway, I'm glad you found this post interesting.. thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing